Are you thinking about buying a fixer-upper? Or maybe you’re finally ready to move forward with a home remodeling project? Whatever your plans, it’s good to know what to expect before you begin.
Home remodeling projects can be complex and sometimes its seems the end is never in sight. But if you go into the process armed with knowledge, it will be much less stressful for you and your family. Here are the major stages you can expect to move through on your way to a completed residential remodeling project.
Stage 1 –Planning
The key to a successful remodeling project is to stay organized. This means having a firm plan in place before you begin. Planning includes:
- Design – Make decisions before you begin about what your project is going to be and what the details of the design are. If you are hiring professionals, they will provide architectural plans. If you are completing the project by yourself, you should at least try to sketch out your ideas onto paper so that everyone involved is on the same page before you begin.
- Budget – Before you begin tearing down walls, decide what your budget for the project will be, and how you will stay within that budget. Be sure to include all the appropriate costs, such as flooring materials from a Floor Sales center, new appliances and construction materials, and even new paint or wallpaper. Discuss and if possible, negotiate the costs with your suppliers including concrete and stone gravel supplier and steel distributors.
- Prepare – If you’re hiring professionals, research and interview contractors including ICF Contractors. For roofing repair, make sure to look for a reputable residential roofing services contractor. You can start by hiring a roofing contractor to inspect your roof and make sure it is ready for the upcoming weather. You may also need to hire people for construction and welding jobs. Apply for and secure any permits that are needed to complete the renovation.
Stage 2 – Demolition
Once your preparations are complete, it’s time to move on to the next phase – demolition. During this stage, you or your contractors will be ripping out anything that needs to be removed and replaced. This can include walls, ceilings, cabinets, windows and floors. If you feel comfortable doing this yourself, you can save some money. If not, leave it to the pros that have years of experience in their demolition careers—especially if any areas being demolished contain asbestos or lead-based paint.
Stage 3 – Construction
Depending on how large your project is, you may need to temporarily relocate during this phase of the remodel, especially if you’ll be without water or electricity for any length of time. Some of the work that is completed during this stage can include:
- Creating structural framing for new walls through sheet metal fabrication. You may also need welding services to assemble metal and steel structures.
- Adding beams to support new weight
- Putting in new doors or windows and even tiles, using a reliable company like tiler dublin to replace the floor.
- Installing electrical, plumbing like gas boiler repair and HVAC
- Adding spray foam insulation and hanging drywall
- Installing new flooring
- Adding finish work such as paint, wallpaper and other finishes
- Adding new exterior siding and gutters
- New asphalt shingle roof installation for room additions
Stage 4 – Cleaning Up
Once construction is complete, you may think you’re finished. But wait! There’s one more important step before you’re done and that’s cleaning up. This is why renting roll off dumpsters is an important part of a remodeling project. Renting Commercial Roll Off Containers can help with the efficient clean up during and after the construction.
You can expect the contractors you hire to do some basic cleaning, but to make your home truly livable and beautiful again, you’ll need to get in there and really clean. This includes removing all the dust and debris that has accumulated.
Once your cleaning is complete, it’s time to move back in. This is the fun part, where the renovations you’ve been dreaming about are finally a reality. Enjoy unpacking and moving into your freshly remodeled space!
Compliments of Virtual Results